Digital Content for a BYOD World
Presentation on Wed 3 Oct 11:45 in room Auditorium
Mobile devices are increasingly blurring the lines between formal and informal learning. These rapidly changing devices have been predicted change agents in education in the Horizon K12 Report, ISTE publications, and in a variety of resources across the field.
This session looks at the digital content available on these devices, specifically BrainPOP's Featured Movie app. http://www.brainpop.com/about/mobile/ BrainPOP's Featured Movie app is a go-to resource for FREE timely and calendar-aligned digital content. Rotating daily, it covers a range of relevant topics including current events, historical figures and milestones, holidays, and much more.
It's also a great fit for "BYOD" (Bring Your Own Device) environments, as it is available in iTunes, Google Chrome, Android, and via the online site.
The BrainPOP app – also available in Spanish and British English and for the younger learner via the BrainPOP Junior App - has been downloaded nearly 1.5 million times.
It has been recommended by The New York Times, Macworld, USA Today, iPhone Life, and The Epoch Times among other outlets, and featured in the iTunes® App Store℠ multiple times.
This session will explore the importance of digital content as we move to bring mobile technology into the classroom.
It will also highlight practical classroom ideas for integrating digital media on mobile devices, such as:
• Up to the Minute: Use the Featured Movie to explain and discuss events in the news from natural disasters like the Japanese tsunami to momentous happenings like the World Olympics.
• Daily Dose: Incorporate the Featured Movie into your daily classroom routines like a morning meeting.
• Spark: Foster online discussions using the Featured Movie on your blog or web site.
• Know It?: Use the Featured Movie quiz to see what students already know about a given topic.
• Apps: Integrate the BrainPOP Featured Movie app with other great apps to make postcards for Moby, create BrainPOP comics, and give Tim’s shirt an extreme make-over based on the day’s topic.
All delegates attending this session must bring and ensure:
Feel free to bring your own device, and we can explore accessing BrainPOP!